Between Work and Life...

 


As I immerse myself in the fascinating journey of aging, the question inevitably arises in the minds of those around me: "When do you plan to retire?" This question reflects more their own uncertainty about whether they are on the right path or need to adjust their life strategies. For those fortunate by birth, retirement begins from their first bottle; for fortune-seekers, work is their constant guide; but for those born into humility, work is an inescapable necessity.

The most intriguing thing of all is that my generation knows no retirement. They continue to fight in the battle of life until chance, be it illness, an accident, an inheritance, or even a stroke of luck in the lottery, alters their fate. The younger generations, driven by retirement experts, work tirelessly until they are physically worn out, hoping to enjoy a retirement funded by their savings, to travel, and live experiences.

I firmly believe that if you love your work as I love mine, it's hard to detach from it. Therefore, it's essential to seek out small pleasures regularly, like traveling, writing, painting, running, or simply enjoying moments of tranquility.

If we persist in this current demographic trend, we face a future where most of the inhabitants of our island will be over sixty years old. This reality poses significant challenges, both in terms of workforce and government policy. Instead of a predominantly young and energetic workforce, we will find ourselves with a labor landscape dominated by older people, which could affect productivity and economic dynamism. Moreover, this demographic shift will force the government to reevaluate and strengthen its strategies and resources to effectively address the needs of an aging population. The burden of care, health, and well-being of the elderly will become an even more pressing priority, demanding innovations in public policies, health systems, and social support networks. This scenario raises the need for deep reflection and advance planning to ensure a healthy and sustainable balance in our society.

Finding a balance between work and leisure is crucial to avoid diseases like strokes or heart attacks. Work, but make time to travel; work, but dedicate time to draw or write your great work; work, but keep your social life active; work, but don't neglect your morning exercise. The day you lose this balance, life will settle the score with you.

So, every time they ask me when I plan to retire, I answer that I enjoy so much what I do, my reflexes are still sharp, my knowledge is broader than in my days of breast milk, that indeed, my skills improve by the day, that I see no need to stop doing what I love.

I deeply regret those who do not enjoy what they do, as depression threatens to rob them of the most precious thing a human being has: the will to live.

*The author is a Professor and Pediatric Surgeon at RCM. Appointments (787) 340-1868.


Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Llamado a Preservar un Tesoro Natural de Puerto Rico: Playuela

Resurgir del Guerrero

Un Sistema de Salud Universal